Due to the volume of registrants, registration for Season 5 Live Auditions is now closed in advance of the August 31st deadline. Questions about registration can be sent to email@example.com.
We are searching for solo artists that perform all types of music: pop, rock, R&B, hip-hop, alternative, latin, country, blues, indie.
We are inviting vocalists from anywhere in the world to submit their videos including a short performance in order to be selected to audition in front of the judges. We want to know your story and why you are ready for your ‘Shot’.
Alternatively, you can register for the one-day open auditions where you will be asked to perform 90 seconds of a verse and a chorus of a song for your choice.
To audition you must be able to attend auditions in September 2017, be 16 years of age or older, and meet all other eligibility requirements.
What's the Prize?
How To Audition By Video
When registration has opened, you will be able to submit your video and pay the one-time, non-refundable administrative fee of $10.
Step 2: Your Video Is Reviewed By The Judges
Once submitted, your video will be reviewed by the judges.
Step 3: If Selected, You Will Be Notified
If selected, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to the Live Auditions in September 2017.
Step 4: Print Your Confirmation E-mail
You MUST PRINT and BRING the e-mail along with photo ID to the auditions.
2017 Program Dates
August 31, 2017: Live Audition Registration Deadline
September 9, 2017: Live Auditions
September 10, 2017: Callbacks (for those who pass the video auditions or live auditions)
September 16 & 17, 2017: Boot Camp
September 23 & 24, 2017: Masterclass & Mentorship
September 30, 2017: Final (where the winner will be selected by the audience.
Video Audition Guidelines
ABOUT YOU (this portion of your video should be no more than 5 minutes long)
WARNING: If you decide to submit a video that has you in a band or a duet, it may be difficult for the judges to pick out your voice. Choose your video wisely if you are going to use a pre-made video and are not going to to record and submit a video made specifically for your audition. You cannot submit an alternate video after one has already been submitted.
You can use a backing track or instrument or accompaniment for your audition video.BE CREATIVE! We want to see your personality, excitement and energy!
Make sure the video is the way you want it before submitting. We will only consider your first submission.
Videos do not need to be professionally produced. We will NOT be judging the quality of the video itself, only the presentation and vocal.
You will be notified about the result of your video audition in August 2017. If you are invited to a Live Audition, you will be provided with additional information including the date, time and location of your Live Audition.
The Live Auditions
Please prepare two (2) songs for your audition. You will be required to perform one song, but have a second song ready if asked.
A CAPPELLA ONLY at the auditions.
NO background tracks, NO accompaniment, NO instruments.
The only thing we want to hear is YOUR VOICE. To be clear, you CANNOT play your guitar at the auditions.
Songs can be by any artist and from any genre (pop, rock, R&B, hip-hop, alternative, latin, country, blues, indie.)
Pick songs that fit your voice and best represent the artist you are.
Family, friends, managers, vocal instructors, etc. will NOT be allowed in the audition room.
If you are under 18, a parent/guardian will be required to sign a consent form.
You will be required to read and sign a waiver at the auditions.
Come dressed in a style that represents you as an artist. Do NOT come dressed in “chicken costumes.” We are looking for serious artists ONLY.
Please plan to be at the audition all day. We suggest bringing snacks and water. Please check the weather and plan accordingly.
If you pass the Open Audition, you will be asked to attend callbacks, please plan accordingly. Accommodations will NOT be provided.
The audition structure is similar to a job interview: the judges will ask you questions, ask you to sing and may ask follow-up questions.
You may be asked to come for a callback. If you are selected, you will be required to be at Callbacks all day on September 10, 2017 in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
Callbacks are for those contestants who pass either a) the Video Auditions or b) the Live Auditions.
If you are unable to attend the full day of Callbacks, you will not be eligible to move on in the competition.
You may sing to a backing track or play an instrument or perform a Cappella. You CANNOT have someone pay guitar or an instrument for you.
From the Callbacks, the judges will selected a group of finalists that will move on to the Boot Camp phase on September 16 and 17, 2017.
Season 5 live auditions will be held on September 9, 2017. Online video submissions to be considered for the Callbacks will open in March 2017.
2. Can I audition if I am under the age of 16?
In order to audition, you must be at least sixteen (16) years of age by September 1, 2017.
3. Can I audition if I am not a Canadian citizen?
YES, YOU CAN! The Shot is open to anyone from anywhere but, you must be legally able to enter Canada and be able to participate in all portions of the process you advance to.
4. What if I auditioned last season, can I audition again?
5. Where are live auditions held?
Live auditions for Season 5 will be held on September 9 in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
6. When will I be notified if I made to the Callbacks?
If you submit a video audition, you will be notified about Callbacks in mid-August 2017. If you attend the live-auditions, you will be told at your audition if you will be advancing to Callbacks.
7. How long will my audition at Live Auditions be?
There will be waiting so please plan to be at the audition all day. You will have approximately ninety (90) seconds to audition in front of the judges. Start strong with your best song first. You may be asked to sing only a verse and a chorus so please be prepared.
8. If I don’t make it to the Callbacks, can I have a refund for my administration fee?
Unfortunately, the administration fee is non-refundable.
9. Is there a list of songs that I have to sing from for the audition?
NO. Prepare songs that best suit your voice and represent you as an artist. Have 1 or 2 in your back pocket in case the judges want to hear another song.
10. Can I bring a track, instrument, or accompaniment to my live audition?
NO. ALL open live auditions are a cappella – NO EXCEPTIONS!
11. If I am under 18, what do I need to bring with me in order to audition?
A parent or legal guardian must accompany you to your audition and must sign the waiver. If your parent or legal guardian cannot accompany you to the audition, you must be accompanied by an individual age 18 years of age or older and your Parental Consent Form must be signed by your parent or legal guardian, and notarized. Please remember, your parent or legal guardian must accompany you to the notary and sign the Parental Consent Form in the presence of the notary.
12. Is this Live Audition in front of the judges?
YES! The judges will be at the auditions.
13. If I am selected for a callback, when will they be?
If you are selected to attend Callbacks, you will be required to come in-person to the Callbacks on September 10, 2017.
14. Can I bring friends and family to the Live Auditions with me?
Friends and family may accompany you to the auditions but will NOT be permitted in the audition room unless specifically requested by the judges.They will be required to either wait in the holding area or outside the audition room.
15. Can I use back tracks or play an instrument in my VIDEO SUBMISSION?
16. How can I cancel my audition?
Cancel your audition by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “Cancel Audition” as the subject line.
17. My dad/mom/brother/sister/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc. usually plays guitar/piano/accompanies me when I sing, can they accompany me for my Live Audition?
NO. Live Auditions are a cappella ONLY.
2. Pick songs that suit your style (genre). Show us who you want to be as an Artist!
3. Be original! If you think a song has been overdone, chances are, it has been! Show us originality and pick something not as common, but still relevant.
4. Be careful if you decide to do an original show for your Live Audition. It’s hard for the judges to determine what kind of artist you are and can be distracting!
5. Sometimes nerves get the best of us. Pick songs that you know you can sing well and carry out under pressure!
6. Dress to impress! Wear what you would wear if you were to land a chance to sing for a major label or a job interview.
7. Remember to have fun! Show us your personality and energy!
8. You’re unique in your own way. Don’t overthink your audition. Don’t compare yourself to others.